With 200 wine producers to explore, most of which are boutique, family-run businesses, Margaret River is unique in Australia. Let’s explore the wineries together.
Vasse Felix planted the first vines here in 1967 and the region has grown into a modern-day classic. Thanks to its isolation, however, Margaret River wineries are mostly small, family-run operations focused on quality and sustainability.
With these conditions, the wineries of Margaret River continue to dominate the Australian wine landscape in terms of quality and ageability.
Margaret River Winery Facts
- There are 200 wine producers in Margaret River.
- 60% of wineries produce less than 4,000 cases yearly (that’s not much!)
- Margaret River accounts for only 2% of all the wine in Australia.
- 20% of the fine wine in Australia comes from Margaret River.
- The majority of wineries are family-run and owned.